We are a wounded bunch, we humans, and yet we are entering a new possibility of healing on this planet that is calling all of us to open up our wounds to the light. I know that transformation of our pain is possible, that forgiveness is a real thing and that a single positive resolution is enough to shift the trajectory of your life. The key to allowing the light into our wounds begins with a simple commitment to have the courage to listen to our deepest longing. Real change is not driven by anything or anyone outside of us. Rather it is a call from your soul to remember who you really are. Three years ago when I began my positivity quest challenge, I knew in my heart of hearts that all that I had tried to accomplish would be meaningless if I couldn’t find and sustain a positive relationship to my life. Now I challenge you to choose from one of these five powerful starting points, each one with the power to transform life, as you know it. Choose the one that resonates most deeply and make your promise to it public. The more people who know about the shift you are intending to make, the more power it has.
- Befriend the present moment- Make a commitment to embrace every moment as if you invited it. Give up the labels of good and bad to describe the circumstances that present themselves in your life. Work to replace the story line that dominates your mind with a growing awareness of what is.
- Viscerally experience your emotional life- Make a commitment to live more deeply in your body and allow the emotions that arise with your circumstances to be a fully felt moment. Meditation is as simple as listening to the wind or counting ten slow breaths. Truly, the body is the temple of your existence, so nourish this most amazing container of your life with love and healing food. Trust your rested self as a true north star.
- Take your foot out of the door- Have the courage to fully commit to your life as it is and stop waiting for the right things to happen. Love your life as it is right now. There isn’t any permission slip required to create what you want, but it starts with fully embracing the goodness and the mess of where you are. Practice turning your dreams into reality by making them into daily to do lists. Writing down goals into a manageable size is key.
- Risk greater levels of vulnerability- Commit to getting comfortable with brief moments of groundlessness. Embrace the unknown or unfortunate events with the willingness and patience to not make the situation any worse. Hold onto your own fear and insecurity and don’t feel compelled to fix it, blame it or escape from it, even if only for a few moments. Revel in your growing spiritual maturity.
- Lean towards curiosity and wonder every time your judgments harden your heart to someone or something you have committed to. The quickest shortcut to gratitude is through remembering the very real possibility of loss and change, which is the fabric of our lives. Focusing on what you don’t know in any given moment is a way to soften our wounds so the light can heal them. Practice using your listening skills as your number one communication device and you may be surprised by hearing what you were trying to say for so long.